Saturday, March 27, 2010

Veneer - White Glue Method

I am starting to explore using veneers for some of my guitar work.  The following is a brief description of some of the work I have done using veneers.  I have used the following site as a reference.

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/ironon.html


Veneer comes in packages of very thin sheets, mine were very curled and cracked.   I decided to use a Veneer Softener.  I sprayed the veneer sheet I was going to use.  I soaked it down, not to the point of saturation but I did want to ensure a good 'spread' of the softener.  I knew I would be giving the veneer plenty of chance to dry back out.  After wetting down the veneer I gently wrapped it in paper towels and put it in a cold press for more than 24 hours.  The veneer came out much straighter and some of the cracks had healed but I won't know how good until I apply...




The basic premise as I understand it is that preparation work must done to the veneer then glue is applied to the veneer and the wood that will be veneered. The glue is then allowed to dry while separate.  Once dry you can then placed on top of each other. Using an iron you then apply heat to the veneer through cloth or some type of intermediate heat transfer media in between the veneer and the iron which will reverse the glue and allow it to mix together. Than you put it back into your cold press to dry.


My first test is with TiteBond 3.  I really did not allow much time for the glue to dry, perhaps 30 min so we'll see how it comes out...  I used a foam roller for the application of glue to the wood.  I squirted out some glue, ran the roller over a couple of times to spread the glue out then applied to the surfaces of the wood.  I put enough on that provided the ability to see the glue on the surface but no more.  The first layer soaked into the wood pretty well on both pieces so I did reapply the glue once.

 

Here is a photo of the veneer applied to a thin board.  The board is on top of the sheet that I cut it from.  The two blue oval objects next to it is something my wife worked up in polymer clay.


I imagine veneer doesn't have much tolerance for sanding so I started at 220 and went to 340.  It was enough to move all of the adhered fibers and dirt off.  It was nice and smooth.



I treated the wood with my fingerboard oil (Dr. Fret).  The result I think is excellent.  The edges I think will be the most difficult part.  


I did want to try some stains, so I prepped the veneer with a pre-stain.

 

No comments: