Monday, July 5, 2010

Ibanez GAX 70 Project II

As a summary, I took an Ibanez GAX 70 and stripped it down.  The grain was really substandard which would explain why the opaque paint.  I tried dyeing it with cherry red stain and a spray can lacquer.  I wasn't really pleased with how it was going so I decided to strip it all back to the wood.
I am learning that so much depends on the sanding process.  I think that the single most fundamental concept when re-finishing electrics is the sanding process.  I have read this so many time, but it wasn't until I got to the final product that I saw why.  Part of the learning process.

I have also learned that the wood may look fine to the eye, but the moment you put dye or stain on it scratches will show up.  I am in the process now of trying to do my best job sanding with the lower coarse grits, at this level you can see most of the areas that need addressing.  Then I advance to the medium grit, when I think I am ready to go to the fine, I dye/stain the wood at this point.  This brings out most of the scratches right away.
 Most of the time the following areas need to be re-addressed: the horns, area around the bridge posts, the slopes near the horns on the front and on the back.  End grain needs to be addressed slowly and completely. 
I have also noticed an issue with the horns becoming slightly angled or 'sharp'.  I usually need to spend a little time with the medium grit to smooth these areas out.
I decided to try a black leather dye.  The wood is agatha and reminds me of a low grade mahogany.  It seems to be a fairly soft wood which is difficult to deal with when you are trying to get things perfectly flat.  The dye was very easy to apply.  I just took a cloth, poured some dye on the cloth and rubbed it in.  I rubbed it in the direction of the grain.  It has just a hint of red/purple in it.  My initial thought was that I would dye it as a base coat and then put an opaque paint on top of it.  But the color is starting to grow on me...
to be continued...

No comments: